Top 10 Winter Activities in Banff
Banff prides itself on being a year round destination and with something for everyone you’re certainly not stuck for things to do in the National Park. But just in case you needed some inspiration outside of your Banff hotel, here are our Top 10 winter Activities.
1. Tubing – For those of you who aren’t keen on hurtling yourself down a mountain on thin pieces of wood, we would highly recommend tubing at Mt Norquay. Everyone can enjoy this family friendly activity as you glide down the tubing run in a big rubber ring. This year you can also try night tubing!
2. Ice Skating – Don your skates and limber up for a triple axel as you chose from three fabulous skating locations in Banff.
Best Location – Banff High School located on Banff Ave.
Best Canadian Experience – Skating on the Bow River ice rink.
Best Backdrop – Banff Springs Golf Course complete with fire pit, toboggan hill and stunning scenery.
3. Skiing & Snowboarding – When in Banff…take your pick from three amazing ski locations right on the door step of your Banff hotel. Discover Banff’s backyard at the closely located Mt Norquay or head a little further down the road to Sunshine Village. Or why not sample some world class terrain at Lake Louise which is just an hour from your hotel in Banff. All three ski hills offer fantastic ski school lessons for kids and adults alike!
Tip – Mt. Norquay hosts night skiing every Friday and Saturday night for only $20 (plus the tubing park is open too!).
4. Waterslides – Of course, we had to mention the only hotel in Banff with waterslides! Free to guests of the Douglas Fir Resort and available to non registered guests for a fee. You can spend an afternoon whizzing down our newly renovated waterslides.
5. Ice Climbing – HI Hostel in Banff (opposite the Douglas Fir Resort) offers this unique Canadian winter experience. Impress your friends as you scale the ice wall or simply sit back and enjoy watching others attempt it from cosy Cougar Pete’s restaurant.
6. Gondola – View Banff’s famous snow-capped peaks from…a snow capped peak! Enjoy the smooth 8 minute ride to the top of Sulphur Mt. where you are greeted with amazing panoramic views of the Canadian Rockies. You might even be able to spot your Banff hotel from up there!
7. Hot Springs –Open year round, there is something to be said for soaking in Banff natural upper hot springs in -20 degrees. The Upper Hot Springs are the reason Banff became Canada’s first national park and you can enjoy the beautiful views as you soak up some history.
8. Tobogganing – nothing says winter fun like hurtling down a hill on a toboggan! We highly recommend heading to the Banff Springs golf course by Bow Falls to sample one of the best toboggan runs in town.
9. Family Snowshoeing – Discover Banff Tours has an amazing array of sightseeing tours, including a comfortable 3km snowshoeing adventure to the Paint Pots (hot maple taffy included!) Click here for more details.
10. Dog Sledding – One of the most highly recommended tours in town! With a variety of companies and lengths of tour, you can experience a real Canadian tradition in the heart of the Canadian Rockies.
After all that you’ll be ready to cosy on up in front of a fire at your hotel in Banff.
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation.